Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Just Another Ordinary Day changed by Animals

As well as technology, I really love nature. I always have, and I probably always will. In fact, I'm looking at career options in the Biology field.
Probably the thing I love most about nature is its vast diversity of animals. "It's not like you live in the middle of the woods." You might say, and you're right, I don't. However, my house is right across from a large sagebrush-covered hill (not quite large enough to be classified as a mountain, but pretty close) and I see a wide variety of wildlife (read the text in parentheses if you want to know what kinds of wildlife I see often. If you don't, just skip over the parentheses.).
(((For starters, I see deer, elk, moose, or all three nearly every day.
Now about the predators.
I've never seen a coyote in our neighborhood (or heard of one), but I have had a few close encounters with mountain lions. My dad was once mountain biking and nearly ran into one. Another time, when I was much younger, I was playing in the yard with Nina and thought I saw a deer up on the hill/mountain across from our house. I told Nina to go call Mom so she could see, and by the time Mom had gone outside, it was painfully obvious that this was not a deer.
It was a mountain lion, and probably a sick one, too. They usually don't venture down from the mountains, but this one was actively seeking out Nina and I.
There are lots of smaller animals, too. There are tons of rodents. Field mice, shrews, moles, voles, ground squirrels, chipmunks. Raccoons aren't rodents, but thy still really enjoy raiding my bird feeder at night.
I also have seen a wide variety of birds. There are tons of chickadees, magpies, robins, and blackbirds around, as well as birds of prey such as hawks and eagles.)))
Animals often influence the kind of day I'm having and my mood. When I take the bus home form school, Fuma, my dog, is always outside in the driveway to greet me. She does this adorable little dance thing where she jumps up on her hind paws and paws the air. It's seriously adorable, and her enthusiastic greeting is often the high point of my day.

Le Dog howling and doing the happy dance thingee

Please, take good care of any animals that you see. They have feelings too, you know....

No comments:

Post a Comment